Hong Kong, citing concerns over COVID-19, has not granted permission for the annual public commemoration of the Tiananmen Square massacre, but a Catholic official said people will still be marking the date.

“We may not be able to be at the Victoria Park this year, but it does not mean that there will be no vigil,” Fung Yatming, Hong Kong diocesan spokesman, told Catholic News Service. “We have special Masses at various churches on June 4 in the evening.”

Hong Kong’s traditional vigil marks the end of weeks of student protests in 1989, when Chinese military fired on protesters in Beijing’s Tiananmen Square. Estimates of those killed ranged from hundreds to thousands, with thousands wounded. British files declassified in 2017 said a Chinese official told the United Kingdom ambassador to China at the time that at least 10,000 people had been killed.

Spread the love

Read the Whole Article at https://catholicherald.co.uk/