Father O’Shea’s Diocesan Reflections #36
Spotlight Parish: St. Peter’s Bay
St. Peter’s Church
first settlers in these parts were Scottish Catholic Highlanders who arrived
along the North Shore there in 1792. In
1830 the first church was erected, 30 x 50 feet, and in 1868 a long-lasting
rectory was added. In 1881 on the same
site a magnificent church in brick was opened, although not completely
finished. It measured 47 x 104 feet
with an attached sacristy/side chapel 23 x 34.
The architect for this was a Mr. Raymond from Quebec. This church at that time was likely the most
splendid in the diocese, visible for miles around, overlooking the peaceful
waters of the Bay.