Announcements June 22 to July 1
Special collection this weekend for the victims of famine in South Sudan, Somalia, Yemen and Nigeria where 20 million people are in danger of death. The federal government will match donations dollar for dollar until June 30. Mark Famine Relief on donations and cheques to Development and Peace- Caritas Canada. For further information check the following link: https://www.devp.org/en/famine-relief-fund or call Development and Peace, 514-257-8711 or 1-888-234-8533 (toll free).
- Consecration of Canada – July 1, 2017: The Bishops of Canada are inviting all Catholic Churches to celebrate the 150th Birthday of Canada by consecrating every Canadian Diocese to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Charlottetown Diocese will celebrate its rededication at the 5:00pm Mass on Saturday, July 1 in St. Dunstan’s Basilica. In addition, every Pastor is invited to consecrate each parish within the Diocese to the Immaculate Heart on the July 1st week-end.
- St. Dunstan’s Basilica is filled with joy as we announce the inaugural ringing of the re-installed historic bells of the Basilica: Saturday, July 1, with a formal program beginning on the front steps at 9:30 a.m. All are welcome.
- Stewardship through Planned Giving: Keeping our past alive, maintaining our present and most important ensuring our future is the challenge of Stewardship in the Church today. Please consider your Parish or Diocese for a Gift now or at estate planning time. For more information visit www.dioceseofcharlottetown.com and click on the “Planned Giving” quick link.
Repeated from Last Week’s Communiqué:
- Twenty-Eighth Annual Scripture Institute: July 3 – 6, St. Pius X church. Keepers of the Holy Doors of Mercy – Presented by Sr. Elizabeth Davis, RSM. Brochures/registration forms are in the churches or at www.dioceseofcharlottetown.com
- The Church needs good, holy priests in every generation: In the Diocese of Charlottetown Fr. George Gilliland is the Vocations Director. A priest for about 30 years, Fr. George has wide pastoral experience especially with care to the sick. He is open to speak to any parish group or individual about vocations to the priesthood and religious life. To contact Fr. George at the diocesan office during regular work hours phone: (902) 368-8005, or by mail: P.O. Box 907, Charlottetown, P.E.I. C1A 7L9. And remember always to pray for our priests and pray that all young people will be guided by the Holy Spirit to the way of life that will bring them the most joy.
- SDU VACATION BIBLE CAMP: Due to cancellations there are two available weeks for the Vacation Bible Camps which are sponsored by the SDU Board of Governors. Available weeks are August 14-18 and August 21-25. Any parish or parishes that are interested in hosting a week of Vacation Bible Camp should call 393-3441 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.